Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fashion in the Movies

Fashion on film can be a huge style influence. Because it is referencing real life, often the clothing we see in the movies can be much more wearable than what we see going down the runways. The first film to have a sartorial impact on me would have to be Clueless. In grade four I actually
wore a kilt with knee socks and chunky heels to school. Totally inappropriate for a nine year old, I know. I blame Cher.



Alicia Silverstone as Cher Horowitz, shopping on Rodeo Drive.


Cher and Dionne rocking the plaid. This is the look I tried to emulate.





Unfortunately, I was also inspired by Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Fortunately, it only went as far as a lime green pleather jacket, and I managed to avoid the marabou-trimmed PVC dress.


Hooker-chic...terrifying.

Another unfortunate film I took inspiration from was Spiceworld. I suppose I was a fan of the giant foam platforms worn by the girls before the film came out, but in the movie I got to watch them all prance around in them for a full 90 minutes! I couldn't resist, and I bought a huge foam black and white pair.




Now that I have shared some of the poor fashion choices from my past, it's time to talk about the films that one should take some fashion cues from.



Breakfast at Tiffany's


A classic choice, Ms. Audrey Hepburn as the ultimate girl about town - the original Carrie Bradshaw - shows us that great style will always endure. Every girl needs a perfect little black dress (obviously), pearls, oversize black sunglasses, and a trenchcoat.









Stay chic, rain or shine.


La Belle de Jour


I must admit I have never actually seen this film (it's on my list), but it stars the French actress Catherine Deneuve and it came out in the 1960s. She plays a hooker, which is not genrerally someone I would advise emulating, but this is the classiest hooker I have ever seen. and she gets the cat-eye makeup down perfectly. She wears lots of perfect trenchcoats (not sure that there is anything underneath, though), and all her shoes are designed by Roger Viver.



To Catch a Thief


Cary Grant and Grace Kelly come together to show us how to do glamour properly. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock and set on the French Riviera, Grant plays a retired cat burgalar and Kelly is the woman who catches his eye. The famous costume designer Edith Head brought the glamour of the 1950s to life on-screen (she even won an oscar for it).






This really makes me want to get away to St. Tropez and put on all my most glam outfits.

The Devil Wears Prada
Although this movie is basically just a parade of one designer after another, there are ways to make it work without the Vogue closet. Just please, please don't scrimp on the shoes! Never run out for the subway without the perfect bag and coat combo. Say yes to tailored jackets and skirts. And always accessorize!


Anne Hathaway discovering the importance of designer shoes.


Head to toe Chanel...if only...



Wherever you get if from, be sure to always some inspiration in your fashion choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment