Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Seventies Are Back

My ultimate favorite trend for spring 2015 is definitely, hands down, the 1970s. While I have I really loved seventies style for a while now, it really emerged as a strong trend on the spring runways. There are a few different ways to wear this trend. Seventies glam with plunging necklines, lame, jumpsuits, vivid makeup, and epic platforms is one way to go. Think Bianca Jagger at Studio 54. Think David Bowie. The other option is seventies boho hippie. Think majorly flared denim, suede, fringe, crochet, flowing dresses, and furry vests. To get this look think of Kate Hudson as Penny Lane in Almost Famous and Jenny from Forrest Gump. Think Anita Pallenberg and Marianne Faithfull.









Bianca Jagger at Studio 54 working a fox, and a satin jumpsuit.



Kate Hudson as Penny Lane.


Anita Pallenberg and Marianne Faithfull in their full-on seventies groupie regalia.




It should be noted, however, that the ultimate seventies babe who embodied both versions of this trends impecably is Cher. This woman alledgedly invented flares. God love her.








Cher working an epic flared stage outfit and looking like a glam Pocahontas.






This is beyond epic. The matching cropped halter top and pants combo, the turquoise jewellery, the glam makeup, and that coat...I think I may have found my Halloween costume for this year.




To avoid appearing as if you are in costume do not wear a matching crop top and flares combo. Do not combine feathers, lame, sequins, and fur. Try to balance the elements of your outfit with a combintation of seventies pieces and more modern pieces. For exmple, try some flared denim with a suede bag and a modern leather jacket. Or a flowy shirt dress paired with boots in a modern print, as seen at Gucci spring/summer 2015.



A look from Gucci s/s 2015.









More Gucci s/s 2015 looks. Adding some rich suede into your spring wardrobe, especially in a colour that's not black, is an excellent way to inject some seventies feeling into your look. I'm really loving the suede trench, which reminds me of a much more chic and sophisticated version of one I had in high school.







Proenza Schouler s/s 2015. If you are a regular reader of my blog you will know that I just adore fringe. Lucky for me, it fits in perfectly with the seventies trend! Proenza Schouler did some amazing fringe for spring, with the ankle ankle grazing fringe skirts that graced their runway.







Some looks from the Altuzarra s/s 2015 runway show. This collection is definitely a more subtle homage to the seventies than the Gucci collection, but I love it. The hints of 1970s come through in the thigh slit skirts, the plunging necklines, gold lame pants, and the woven leather skirt and vests.




























Chloe s/s 2015. I love, love, love this collection. All the flowing dresses are so dreamy, and I love the white poncho. This collection even made me like gladiator sandals which I don't normally go for. This is a perfect modern interpretation of the 1970s.
I can hardly wait for spring to come so that I can release my inner seventies hippie-boho/disco queen!






























No comments:

Post a Comment